The recipe below make 1 loaf of bread.
Tang Zhong Starter dough
25g bread flour
270g bread flour
43g caster sugar
4.5g milk powder
4g instant yeast
43g whisked egg (around 3/4 egg)
30g whipping cream
27g fresh milk
25g unsalted butter, soften (if using salted butter, no need to add additional salt)
Tang Zhong Starter Doug
1. Mix water with bread flour and cook over low heat in a pot.
3. Let tang zhong cool to room temperature before use.
1. Mix all the ingredients (including tang zhong) except the butter. Knead until smooth and elastic (around 10 minutes).
2. Knead in butter until fully incorporated (around 5-10 minutes).
3. Cover the dough (you can use a clingwrap or pastry cloth; if you have none of these, just put it in a pot and cover with the pot cover) and place it in a warm place to let it undergo the 1st proofing, about 1.5 hour.
4. Place the dough onto a clean floured surface. Punch down and divide the dough into 6-8 portions.
5. Roll out each portion of the dough with a rolling pin into rectangular shape, then roll up the dough into a cyclinder, like a swiss roll.
6. Repeat for the rest of the dough and place all the pieces into a greased loaf tin.
7. Cover the dough and place it in a warm place, let it undergo the 2nd proofing, about 1 hour, or at least double in size.
8. Brush the surface of the bread with egg wash.
1. Place the dough at a warm place (but not too hot) during proofing, you can place it in the oven with the light turning on.
2. Although the recipe calls for the dough to be 'double in size', wait a while longer! The higher the rise the softer the bread. This time, I waited until the dough turned 2.5 times the original size. It continue to rise in the oven while baking until it reached 3 times the original size.
3. Brush the egg wash gently and be careful not to flatten the dough. You can brush it around 15 minutes before baking so that if anything went wrong, there is still time for the dough to rise back.
高筋面粉 270 克
細砂糖 43 克
盐 4 克
奶粉 4.5 克
全蛋液 43 克 （大约 3/4 全蛋）
忌廉（whipping cream 動物性鮮奶油）30 克
无盐牛油 25 克，软化(如果使用有盐牛油，不须加盐)