- 4 eggs (AA grade, around 57g-60g shell inclusive)
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 tbsp mirin
- 3/4 cup water
- Mix ingredients (A) together in a ziplock bag.
In a pot, bring enough water to boil, lower the heat until the water is not bubbling and gently put in the eggs.
- Increase the heat slightly, set a timer for 6 minutes and 30 seconds. The heat should be enough for the water to sizzle gently (but not bouncing the eggs around).
- Meanwhile, prepare a bowl of ice water.
Once the timer is up, remove the eggs from hot water and place them into the ice water.
Once the eggs had cooled to the touch, peel the shell and place it in the ziplock bag together with the sauce.
- Refrigerate for at least 5 hours. Shift the position of the egg once in the while to ensure even coating of the sauce.
1) To serve, remove the eggs from the fridge 1 hour before serving and soak the whole ziplock bag in a bowl of water of body temperature (be careful not to let the water sip in to the bag). By doing so, the eggs won't be cold when served.
2) The egg looks nicer by cutting it using a dental floss