Tea egg is an extremely easy dish. If you wish to have it for breakfast, you can boil some eggs and whip up the sauce the night before you sleep, and leave them in a thermal pot. Let the pot do the job for you while you are having your beauty nap. When you wake up, your tasty breakfast is awaiting you. Just heat it up and tada... time to fill in your stomachs.
Traditionallly, tea eggs are made with Chinese black tea. By using earl grey tea as gravy base, you would get a slight citrus flavour and aroma from the Bergamot oil. Do you like Earl Grey? If yes, try this out! If you prefer the traditional taste, no problem, just substitute the Earl Grey tea with your regular Chinese black tea and it is done.
- 6 eggs
- 2 Earl Grey tea bags
- 2 inch cinnamon stick
- 4 tablespoon reduced salt light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon five spice powder
- 3 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups water
- pinch of salt
- Place the eggs in a pot, add enough water to cover the eggs. Bring the water to boil and continue to cook for another 10 minutes until the eggs are cooked through.
- Discard the water. Gently tap the eggs on table top to crack the eggshell (to create the marbling effect).
- In a pot, put together all the ingredients and bring to a boil. Continue to simmer for another 1 hour (otherwise, you can simmer for another 5 minutes and transfer the tea eggs into a thermal pot).
- Let the eggs sit in the tea mixture for at least 4 hours before serving.
- 6粒 鸡蛋
- 2个 伯爵茶包
- 2寸 肉桂棒
- 4汤匙 低盐酱油
- 2汤匙 老抽
- 1茶匙 五香粉
- 3汤 匙 白糖
- 2 杯水
- 将鸡蛋放入锅里，加入足够的水覆盖鸡蛋。 把水烧开，再继续煮10分钟，待鸡蛋熟透。
- 把水倒掉。 把鸡蛋轻轻的在桌面上拍打，直到蛋壳出现裂痕（创建大理石花纹的效果）。
- 在一个锅里，把所有材料放在一起，煮沸， 继续煨1小时（你也可以煨5分钟，然后把蛋和茶汁放入保温壶里）。