Coffee cake, coffee swiss roll, coffee bread, those are all my favourites. The aroma of coffee baking in the oven is almost intoxicating, by just smelling it I am feeling more alert instantly!
- 130g butter
- 80g sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 160g cake flour
- 125g evaporated milk (or 100ml water + 38g milk powder)
- 5 egg white
- 40g sugar
- 1-2 tbsp instant coffee powder mix with 1 tbsp hot water (or add in directly if you prefer to see the coffee granules)
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy, add in vanilla essence.
- Add in cake flour and evaporated milk alternately. Beat until well combined before each addition.
- In separate bowl, beat egg white with sugar until soft peak (put in sugar in 3 additions).
- Take 1/3 of the meringue and add into the butter mixture. Mix until well combine.
- Pour all butter mixture into meringue, fold to mix gently.
- Take 1/3 of the batter and mix with coffee powder.
Spoon in the original batter and coffee batter into baking dish alternately, make some swirl with a spoon or chopstick.
- Bake at preheated oven at 170C for 30 minutes.